Monday, February 4, 2013


It was the trees. The trees taught me how to pray again. 
I stopped praying a year and a half ago. I stopped when the whole act started to become a charade, done out of mere obligation. Every time I finished a prayer I was left with guilt. Guilt for not remembering which rakaa I was on, guilt for praying late, guilt for not praying, guilt for praying too fast. Guilt clung to me for minutes after I’d finished, like the sickening and sticky aftertaste of a coffee taken with a cigarette.  At some point I just realized I hated it, its every movement exhausted me. I knew that what I was doing was merely keeping appearance, like dusting a house of cards every few times a day, without ever putting anything into it to hold it together. So I stopped. I still thought of God. I still spoke to him, but I stopped dancing his dance, and I felt such relief. It was as if I had quit an addiction, like I’d cleaned off my desk, and organized everything into neat boxes and binders, like I could finally mark that year long lingering task from my to-do list.
But ever since I’ve come to Oxford, things have changed. In my daily thirty to forty-five minute walk to campus, all I see are trees. The trees at Oxford are undescribable. These immense and graceful beings watch over every narrow alley, every broad street, every corner building. They're organs for the city, guardians of its every movement. They are more human than any.other.life in this city, including my own. Sometimes they remind me of my grandparents, my great grandparents, my friend’s grandparents. Not only because that’s exactly what they are for this town, but because that’s exactly what they look like. The one right at the roundabout on Cowley-Iffley Rd. resembles my grandma. Standing with all her pride, in all the glory and wisdom her age has given her, her hair frizzed over by age, but yet still at the whim of every tickle in the breeze, her arms out inviting me in. Standing there. Just watching. With all her patience, she trusts in what she sees, never feeling the need to move too quickly, or even speak against it or in support of it. She just smiles. She just observes.
My friend once asked me to name my three favorite animals with my reasoning, as a part of some sort of personality test, every animal was meant to reveal something different about my character. I said, horse because a horse is strong, yet always graceful. Bird, because a bird is always singing, always happy. And elephant, because an elephant always seems satisfied with the bare minimum. Now that I think about it, I was really just trying to re-describe a tree: Strong. It moves its leaves and its branches with every touch, but it never lets anything access its core. It never moves its roots, unless it wants to grow. Happy. What better visualization for a giggle than the way leaves shiver in the wind. Humble.
Something in these trees one day forced me to take an extra pillowcase and lay it on the ground, to set a piece of earth on it, and to wrap my hair, before standing. As I stood, I realized that I don’t remember the last time I felt my bare feet against the ground. I brought my hands up and I dropped them and began. And I said every word. I did every movement, all while realizing that my feet were always in place. I was that tree, bowing and bending, moving and turning, without ever taking my feet off the ground. I was rooted, and felt more layers of flesh, of blood, of being in myself than I  had ever felt.
And so I’ve started to pray again. Yes, my prayer is still to God. I still address him, but where is he, if he’s not inside me, and who is he, if he’s not me? If he’s not the part of us that we live through. Aren’t we the creators, forgivers, protectors, nourishers, the givers of life? Doesn’t that eagle come to be as magnificent as it is, because each one of us notices it’s intricate wings, its bold dark eye, its grace as it soars. I’ve realized from watching how imbued that tree is of God, that God isn’t someone out there, up there, somewhere with a hand outstretched to me. He’s in me, with a hand stretched out to the world, to Mehdi, to my parents, to my sister, to you.
Now when I pray, it’s not out of obligation, or fear of an impending day of doom, but because I think I deserve. I deserve five minute increments in the day to myself, to think of who I am, to try to be that tree.

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful post, as always... :)
    .. and a keen observation of something I've also done regularly. We have a number of eucalyptus trees close to our house, which have stood the test of time. During my morning walks around the neighbourhood, I've made it a habit to pause for a while, and admire them in all their grace and beauty. Merely looking at their roots, and their trunks have filled me with great introspective moments... they have a lot to say..
    For the benefit of you, and the few others who will read this comment, I'd like to confess that I've hugged the trees as well... thankfully, given the early time I rise in the morning and go about my walk, I doubt anyone will have seen this strange ritual... ;) it's a special feeling to see God's creations with a different eye.

    I know the moments you spent praying there would have been special. I'm envious... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful... Now that I think of it, you do resemble a tree. A cherry tree always in blossom. Yes sometimes, blossom petals may become a little pale, but they only need a drizzle to freshen up and to fill everywhere with laughter and happiness.
    Remember that last tree on our trail to Mt. Whitney? It could endure the harshest storms and could survive with the least nutritions. Standing there alone but proud. I want to be that tree. The highest. The toughest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go to Woodstock Road, past St Anne's College, and then turn left onto Plantation Road. There you will meet her. I tell you she's a force to reckon with.

    I had forgotten you said horse first, elephant third. So did I. No surprise, given our recent discovery of our personality convergence.

    You know just last night I was going to my yoga class and I began to look at the trees on either side of the street. It started with three young cherry blossoms next to each other. I will send you a picture of them for you to see why they caught my attention so much. As I observed tree after tree I thought: 1. They are each so beautiful, 2. Do they look at themselves and think, "oh I have a kink in my branch over here, and oh how wrinkly I have become, oh I need to be thinner, taller, oh people are going to notice these little spots on my leaves". 3. No they do not. 4. Neither do we. We don't look out for the kinks, the wrinkles, the sizes, the spots in the trees. It would be silly if we did. We just see them and acknowledge their beauty. 5. That's how Creation sees these beings. 6. That's how creation sees us. 7. Why do we look at ourselves any differently?

    ReplyDelete