Saturday, November 10, 2012

Nests & Things


If I was asked what animal I would like to be, I would say bird (at least this week, I would). Not because they can fly (to me, running is like flying).But because the nest I saw yesterday, on the branch of the tree painted in autumn’s shades of red, yellow and orange, nestled in the walkway between my college and my department building, was very messy. The nest was disheveled. It had bits of branches sticking out of its sides. It had pieces of yarn, and paper candy wrappers, and even a bit of cloth poking out its sides. It was messy and disorganized, and yet perfect in every way because I knew that the bird who had built it earlier in the Spring loved it. Not only was it just enough for her, but it was where she fluffed out warmth to her eggs. It was where she taught her babies to fly and watched them learn to swallow.

And yet, she left it. She flew away and left the home with all of its woven memories. Wherever she is, she knows that the autumn that’s easing into winter will unravel her home and all its branches will fall to the earth.
But she doesn’t mind. When it’s time again, she’ll build another. Maybe again on this tree. Maybe one in a walkway that gets more sun. Maybe, not even in Oxford.

Last night when I got home, I rolled up my sleeves put on thick washing gloves and cleaned the bathroom, kitchen and my bedroom. Once all the loose paper in my room was in ‘neat’ piles across my desk, and my clothes were all hidden in one way or another in the closet or in my drawers, I knew I was ready. I put my backpack in the center of the room. I reached in and pulled out what I’d been thinking about all day—the two big pomegranates I had bought from the small market. I placed each of them on my bookshelf, nestled between my favorite novels and the photos of Mehdi and my sister. And then I stood back. Yes, this home is ready for the weekend.

This morning I woke up and noticed my crooked ceiling lamp. The broken fridge irritated me. The water in the shower that’s either burning hot or freezing cold annoyed me. The desk chair with its broken back nearly drove me mad. The lamp shade that’s dislodged and wobbles dramatically from one side to another….

There is so much I must learn from birds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment